Kit for self assembly, most parts are in a rough unfinished state.
If you want the most affordable high performance windvane self steering and don't mind putting in some work, this is the self steering system for you.
Once finished Y&B kit is mechanically identical to Y&B standard.
This product is no longer in stock
|Weight||About 10 kgs/22 Lbs|
|Mounting system||Pre made upper mounting tube angle at 90 degrees|
|Upper mounting tube angle||90 degrees as standard, other angles optional extra|
|Upside Down Windvane||Standard, with super easy engage/disengage|
|Mast||Glass fiber/epoxy, unfinished|
|Bearings||Acetal/glass ball bearings|
|Pendulum rudder||Pre fabricated plywood, requires building with epoxy OR glass fiber/epoxy foam, requires finishing and painting to protect from uv (paid option)|
|Overload protection on pendulum rudder||Standard, releases completely|
|Pre-assembled||Only if that saves time in packaging|
|Estimated assembly or build time||10-40 hours, depending on skills and how far you want to go with finishing|
|Warranty||2 years on parts (except plywood pendulum rudder), no \"It will steer your boat\"|
|Availability||February-March delivery (Order before January)|
|Extended vanebase||Standard distance 200 mm|
|Covered gears, to protect from UV radiation||Paid option|
This is Y&B as a kit.
To achieve the lowest purchase price, all the time consuming tasks are performed by yourself:
- Build the pendulum rudder from provided preshaped plywood and carbon fiber tube using epoxy (4-8 hours of work + curing time)
- Alternatively, finish the Epoxy/epoxy foam rudder blade (paid option)
- Paint the glass fiber mast, pendulum arm (optional) and the self made pendulum rudder blade (required)
- Finish all parts to remove rough edges and burrs (2-4 hours)
- Pasivate all stainless steel parts with cytric acid (2-4 hours + waiting time)
- Assemble ( 4-8 hours)
Materials and parts
- Standard Epoxy (quantity yet unknown)
- citric acid
- paint, suitable for painting over epoxy.
- spectra/dyneema for steering lines
- guide blocks for most boats
- Extra mounting tube for some transoms
After completion this system is mechanically identical to Y&B, except for the pendulum rudder.